AAAMP newsletter: Large collection of media stories! Also a few new events, opportunities.
Today's newsletter is long, with lots of content in the form of media pieces.
So first are 2 short sections: a few opportunities, and new upcoming events. Then the third section is the lengthy listing of articles, videos, and audios.
Please see the summary table of contents to see what you might look for (a fair number of the media pieces are in French / en Francais).
* Contribute to community newspapers in Ottawa: The Leveller; or, The Peace & Environment News.
* Volunteer at National Art Gallery international Indigenous exhibition opening Nov 7th.
* Oct 29: Karen McBride, Ottawa Writers Festival
* Nov 9-10: A7G Elders and Youth Gathering (Ottawa)
* Nov 14-15: International Conference on Mining & Climate Change (Ottawa)
* Nov 30: deadline for $1000 grants, Jane Goodall Institute [in previous newsletter]
* Commemorating the Children who died at Residential Schools * Viens Commission Report * New Monuments * Water activism * Reports on cultural gatherings and education system * Chaudiere Falls legal battle * Call for Moose Moratorium in La Verendrye * Sunshine Tenasco's book Nibi's Water Song * Karen McBride's book Crow Winter * Claude Latour's exhibit Makwa's Return * Caroline Monnet's film Bootlegger (shooting in KZ Nov11-Dec13) *
or you can share this link to the web post on social media:
Any feedback, questions, or to include items for the next newsletter,
please email email@example.com
- AAAMP (Algonquin Anishinaabeg Aki Media Project)
"Drop us a line with your ideas and input at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also have a look at our Submission Guidelines and Checklist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lLs0HuGmsAGM1Qwjohl-AgwAKoOPligJ5IsezTlT-OY/
As a head's up, due dates for this issue will be:
* Monday, October 28 – Early date that guarantees feedback and time for revisions,
* Wednesday, October 30 – Final date"
published by PERC, Peace & Environment Resource Centre
Interested? Email email@example.com!"
National Art Gallery - Abadakone exhibit welcoming and opening
"Call for those who would like to volunteer at the National Gallery of Canada on November 7th to greet and meet the Indigenous artists from around the world. We are looking for various language speakers too... [and] we have a special role for folks who are interested in bringing their most beautiful and best (personality and outfits/regalia should you wish)..." Full post: https://www.facebook.com/JaimeKoebel/posts/10156293518445780
3rd annual A7G Elder and Youth Gathering
Nov 9-10 in Ottawa. Hosted by Assembly of Seven Generations
International conference on climate change and mining
Nov 14-15 in Ottawa. Hosted by MiningWatch Canada
Includes opening from Monique Manatch as well as Grand Chief Verna Polson.
* ARTICLES / VIDEOS / AUDIOS
Remembering children who died at residential schools
Ceremonial cloth unveiled on Sept 30, Orange Shirt Day
* Included in story: Frank, Margaret, Jackie & Eddie Pizendewatch (Cote)
Grand Chief Verna Polson of the Algonquin Anishinabeg Nation decried the absence of an English message from the premier.
* Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/372217760398748/
* Short explainer video with Hector Jerome, Sept 27:
* Dara Wawaté-Chabot talk at Ottawa Climate Strike, Sept 27 video & audio
* Mia Tenasco at Quebec City Climate Strike, Sept 27 (audio at 1:20; also photo)
* APTN followup, Oct 24:
* Hunting statistics from the Quebec government:
Mitcimi8ac nourrit et transmet les valeurs traditionnelles
« Medewin » ou la guérison par la spiritualité autochtone
Un grand rassemblement spirituel autochtone près de la communauté algonquine de Lac-Simon, en Abitibi
Ardoch Algonqun First Nation featured on Lake 88.1 FM (Perth)
* Aug 7 Mireille LaPointe; Aug 28 Mireille & Marjolin LaPointe:
*Featured in story: Colinda Clyne, at Upper Grand District School Board
"Depuis 2009, Caroline Monnet a réalisé une dizaine de courts métrages et elle s’apprête à tourner son premier long, Bootlegger [au Kitigan Zibi]"
* Also: Profile on Bootlegger film being made in Kitigan Zibi (between Nov 11 - Dec 13)
Profile of Claude Latour's exhibit "Makwa's Return"
* Also: CKCU interview with Latour, his Mōnz (Moose) bench at the new canal footbridge in Ottawa
https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/158/44756.html (starts 27:55)
Algonquin Anishinaabeg Aki Media Project [AAAMP]
Email newsletter (subscribe!) + web posts: